Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Author's Website
Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Genre: YA - Dystopian
Original Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 336 (Hardcover)
Source: Purchased
Rating: ★★★★★

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

My Thoughts

I finished this book days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. Initially I didn't think I liked it as much as I did (as soon as I finished the book I gave it 4 stars), but now the more I think about it as a whole instead of its individual parts, it's definitely a 5 for me (probably closer to a 4.5, but I don't do half stars).

The plot for this book intrigued me. It's set in a post World War 4 society in a young country called Illéa. Illéa is a caste based society that was formed from the former North America after it fell to the Chinese. In order to strengthen their country and form allies, the monarchy marries their daughters off to other countries but the sons marry inside the country. One girl from each province is selected to compete for the Prince's hand in marriage.

The reason I originally gave this book 4 stars was because of the main character. I initially didn't like her. I still kinda don't like her all that much. She's ungrateful and stubborn and it irritates me. I mean come on! When somebody shows you genuine kindness, you shouldn't proverbially spit in their face. I hope she grows to respect people and stop being a brat. I hate people like that. I also don't trust Aspen. At all. He makes me uncomfortable. I can't judge the book based on my dislike of individual character personalities. The story is intriguing and I couldn't put this book down.

But Prince Maxon..... /sigh. What a great character. If you read this book and don't fall in love with Prince Maxon, read the book again until you do.

The story is so well paced. There's an exciting balance of romance, action, and trying to figure out peoples' motives. When I feel like I might be able to put the book down for a bit, something happens to make me change my mind. Also, the cover is gorgeous. Look at that dress!!

Overall

I'm fairly late to the Selection bandwagon, but for me that's a good thing because I'm dying to marathon the rest of the series. The plot and story are exciting enough to make me forget about how much I can't stand some of the personality traits of a few characters. I highly recommend this book. If the rest of the series delivers, this will be on its way to my favorites list.


Other reviews for this series

The Elite by Kiera Cass (The Selection #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment