Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Goodreads |  Amazon  |  Author's Website

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, #1
Genre: YA - Science Fiction, Retelling
Original Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Square Fish, 2nd Edition
How I Got the Book: Purchased
Format: Paperback

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...
 Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

My Thoughts

Science fiction isn't generally my "go to" genre. When I initially heard about this book, I was immediately interested, but not exceptionally motivated. I love fairy tale retellings, so I was certain I would like this but at the same time I didn't put it at the top of my list.

I actually put the book down about a quarter of the way into it because I wasn't particularly in the mood to read a sci-fi novel. It sat on my shelf for about a month before I picked it up again. I kept saying to myself "eh, cyborgs" when I considered reading it again. When I finally did pick it up again, I couldn't put it down. I finished it in two sittings. I was definitely wrong for not making this book a priority on my TBR.

This was a creative story. Cinderella as a cyborg? Dancing with an emperor? Losing her foot instead of a shoe? Brilliant. I would be lying if I said I hadn't seen it coming, but I'm sure we all saw that coming.

The only real predictable parts of the story were the parts that were taken from Cinderella. Meyer used that inspiration to weave together an exciting and surprising story. 

Overall

I loved this book. Not only was I surprised that I love it, I was surprised at how immersed I got into it. Don't let this fall to the bottom of your TBR like I did. This is definitely a must read book in my opinion.

Other reviews for this series

Cress by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #3)

No comments:

Post a Comment