Friday, July 3, 2015

Book Review: More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Author's Website
Title: More Happy Than Not
Author: Adam Silvera
Series: Stand alone
Genre: YA - Contemporary, LGBTQ
Original Release Date: June 2, 2015
Publisher: Soho Teen
Pages: 304 (Hardcover)
Source: Owlcrate
Rating: ★★★★☆


The Leteo Institute's revolutionary memory-relief procedure seems too good to be true to Aaron Soto -- miracle cure-alls don't tend to pop up in the Bronx projects. But Aaron can't forget how he's grown up poor or how his friends aren't always there for him. Like after his father committed suicide in their one bedroom apartment. Aaron has the support of his patient girlfriend, if not necessarily his distant brother and overworked mother, but it's not enough.

Then Thomas shows up. He has a sweet movie-watching setup on his roof, and he doesn't mind Aaron's obsession with a popular fantasy series. There are nicknames, inside jokes. Most importantly, Thomas doesn't mind talking about Aaron's past. But Aaron's newfound happiness isn't welcome on his block. Since he's can't stay away from Thomas or suddenly stop being gay, Aaron must turn to Leteo to straighten himself out, even if it means forgetting who he is.

My Thoughts

I purposely went into this novel knowing nothing about it aside from it being LGBTQ. For a debut novel, I was impressed. Adam Silvera definitely has the voice to make you care about his main character, but I felt underwhelmed by the supporting cast. The story is written in first person from Aaron's point of view. I didn't have any trouble identifying with Aaron, even though I don't have first hand experience in his shoes.

Some of the other characters, though, lacked substance. Genevieve, for example, didn't feel like she had much personality. Her quirks were explained (who even paints those subjects?), but I never felt like I understood her. I really did want to connect with her, though. The same can be said for Aaron's brother, Eric. I knew virtually nothing about him - I actually forgot he existed for a good portion of the story.

But then there was Thomas. Thomas was dynamic and charming! I instantly connected with him and understood his connection with Aaron. This relationship epitomized who a best friend should be.

While I won't spoil anything, the ending was both predictable and completely unpredictable (if that makes any sense). I had a feeling of the general way the story would end, I was still surprised and shocked by everything. This book was written with emotion, and that emotion was felt with each turn of the page. The story started out fairly slowly, but as I got farther along it begged me not to put it down.

Overall

This book was beautiful. I hoped for more from some of the characters, but the love I had for the few that were rich with personality more than made up for it. Even though I'm not LGBTQ, I was still able to identify with Aaron and appreciate this book for what it represented. I can't tell you how glad I am that I read More Happy Than Not. I absolutely recommend this book - this is a story I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment