Tuesday, August 18, 2015

How to attach a ribbon bookmark to your book


Recently I received a custom ribbon bookmark designed to match the cover of Rebel Mechanics. I love how much it resembles its inspiration from the cover and I wished it was actually attached to the book. It got me thinking...how hard would it be to actually attach it? I discovered that it wasn't that hard at all!



Materials

  • Scissors
  • Pen
  • Index Card
  • Glue dot
  • Ribbon bookmark
  • Hardcover book

Step 1

Take an index card and line it up to top of the spine of your book. Align it in such a way as to account for a bit of space on either end. With your pen, mark where to cut.

Step 2

Cut out your index card strip and carefully slide it between the cover and the pages until you meet resistance. I was able to get mine in about an inch and a half. With your pen, place a line just below the top of the headband (as shown below).











Step 3

Cut out your little square of index card and place a glue dot.














Step 4

Place the end of the ribbon on the glue dot (make sure that some glue is exposed). I positioned my ribbon a bit higher because I want the end of the bookmark to be a bit longer.












Step 5

Carefully slide the piece index card in until you can't see it peeking out the top of the headband. Make sure that the ribbon and glue dot will be facing the cover, not the pages. Press firmly to ensure that the glue dot makes contact with the cover and sticks. This will prevent the bookmark from easily being pulled out.










You're done! Enjoy your built in bookmark!




Let me know if you tried this tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment