Monday, March 21, 2016

Book Review: Homecoming by Kass Morgan

Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Author's Website
Title: Homecoming
Author: Kass Morgan
Series: The 100 #3
Genre: YA - Science Fiction
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Original Release Date: February 24, 2015
Pages: 340
Format: Audiobook
Narrators: Justin Torres and Phoebe Strole
Source: Library


Weeks after landing on Earth, the Hundred have managed to create a sense of order amidst their wild, chaotic surroundings. But their delicate balance comes crashing down with the arrival of new dropships from space.

These new arrivals are the lucky ones - back on the Colony, the oxygen is almost gone - but after making it safely to Earth, GLASS's luck seems to be running out. CLARKE leads a rescue party to the crash site, ready to treat the wounded, but she can't stop thinking about her parents who may still be alive. Meanwhile, WELLS struggles to maintain his authority despite the presence of the Vice Chancellor and his armed guards, and BELLAMY must decide whether to face or flee the crimes he thought he'd left behind.

It's time for the Hundred to come together and fight for the freedom they've found on Earth, or risk losing everything - and everyone - they love.

Hi honey, we're home

In the final book of this series, we are still following our original four main characters. Each has their own motivation for survival and must work together to maintain the way of life they worked so hard to create. Unfortunately, that's not the only thing at stake. The new arrivals are also threatening the ones they love.

Pros

POV - I know. I sound like a broken record. I love the way this series handles POV. I especially like it when we get a conversation with another POV character, but we don't get their POV on it. I liked feeling like I didn't know what a character was thinking that the current POV was talking to.

Characters - This is the first book where I feel like we have a real villain I could hate. The mention of splintered Earthborns didn't really evoke much emotion from me. The Vice Chancellor and his guards actually make me angry. After reading the first two books, I definitely feel like I'm emotionally invested in our main characters. The Vice Chancellor is threatening my characters, and it made me feel uncomfortable and angry - exactly how you should feel about a villain!

Plot - The plots in this book were exciting. It was definitely an edge of my seat experience for some of them. This was definitely a hard book to put down because of the near constant action.

Cons

Romance - The "I just met you but you are the love of my life" insta-love was a little tiring by this book. It's bad, but I didn't really care who ended up with whom by this point.

Resolution - I was about 90% through the book when I noticed that the many sub-plots still weren't coming closer to a resolution (some of them weren't even fully explored yet). I was actually getting worried that some of them would be left hanging. Nothing was left hanging out there, but the resolutions in this book were very convenient. Because I try my hardest to avoid spoilers, I don't want to go into what I thought was convenient, but I think it's safe to say that all of the sub-plots kind of wrapped up more conveniently than they would in real life. There wasn't even much explanation as to why the plots resolved the way they did. They just magically resolved.

Overall

I still really liked this book even though I had a few complaints. I'd honestly rate this book closer to 3.5 than 4, but since I don't give half stars I rounded up because of how hard it was to put this book down. I'm glad I read it and I hope that somebody decides to give this series a shot because of my reviews. I'm not saying to expect a deep story about post apocalyptic survival, but the books were good for what they were.


Other reviews for this series

The 100 by Kass Morgan (The 100 #1)
Day 21 by Kass Morgan (The 100 #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment