Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Book Review: Day 21 by Kass Morgan

Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Author's Website
Title: Day 21
Author: Kass Morgan
Series: The 100 #2
Genre: YA - Science Fiction
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Original Release Date: September 16, 2014
Pages: 320
Format: Audiobook
Narrators: Justin Torres and Phoebe Strole
Source: Library


It's been 21 days since the hundred landed on Earth. They're the only humans to set foot on the planet in centuries...or so they thought. Facing an unknown enemy, Wells attempts to keep the group together. Clarke strikes out for Mount Weather, in search of other Colonists, while Bellamy is determined to rescue his sister, no matter the cost. And back on the ship, Glass faces an unthinkable choice between the love of her life and life itself.

In this pulse-pounding sequel to Kass Morgan's The 100, secrets are revealed, beliefs are challenged, and relationships are tested. And the hundred will struggle to survive the only way they can -- together.

Who the heck are those guys?!

It's been 21 days since The 100 crash landed on Earth. Why is 21 significant? This book is titled Day 21 because that is when the body begins to show symptoms of radiation poisoning. This book takes place between day 21 to about a week or so after that. We're also finally starting to understand the secrets our main characters are keeping. But those aren't the only secrets. Apparently they aren't the only humans on Earth...

Pros

Plot - YAY!!! A plot! A good plot, too! I was worried when I read the first book that there wasn't going to be a coherant plot to build a trilogy on. Well, we got one (two actually). In addition to that, the flashbacks all had their own sub-plots which made me want to just skip to the next flashback. This book was fast paced and action packed, but most importantly it was focused.

Storytelling - Just like the first book, I really enjoyed the way the story was told. Half present day, half flashback. Even better, the characters' pasts started weaving together. I like it when small plots all roll into one big plot. I can't tell you how many times I actually talked out loud to this book. Ms. Morgan definitely captivated me in this book.

POV - I feel like I'm cheating by adding this as a pro, but I still loved the way the story was told using 4 different points of view. Because of the limited POV, the narration wasn't omnipotent. This added to the suspense in the story because we only knew what the 4 characters knew and nothing more. I think omnipotence would have detracted from the storytelling, especially during flashbacks. Since I listened to this on audiobook, I was pleased to find that the narrators haven't changed. I'd become attached to the characters' voices.

Cons

Romance - If you read my last review, you probably saw this coming. The main reason why this book didn't get 5 stars is because the romances were unrealistic insta-love and the characters were wishy washy. Let me explain. I use the term "wishy washy" differently than I normally would. These characters all had on and off "I hate you" "Now I love you" "Now I hate you again" relationships. This was irritating. There was this trend of our characters falling out of love with somebody, then in love with somebody else, then out of love with the new person and back in love with the first one, then do it all over again. All in a couple weeks. It was exhausting to read about.

Overall

I actually really liked this book. It was action packed, fast paced, and hard to put down. I was less disappointed in this book since I went in knowing it wouldn't be a survival story. The characters apparently don't have any problem surviving with nothing (we are only told about the one tent - so where is everybody sleeping?). Unrealistic aspects aside, this was an enjoyable read.


Other reviews for this series

The 100 by Kass Morgan (The 100 #1)
Homecoming by Kass Morgan (The 100 #3)

No comments:

Post a Comment